Make a Difference Monday ~ 1/14/2013
1. Threshold: 1/14/2013 ~ DO YOUR BEST and FORGET the REST!!!
- The Threshold is NOT NEW! It is due this Friday, the 18th. (30% grade)
- Today is Make a Difference Monday. Remember, my goal for you is not only that you learn but that you truly live the social studies, which means to have a positive impact on everyone that you know and meet. On this day, you will need to make a special effort to make the life of someone else better in some way. I don’t care how you achieve this, as long as it happens.
- Good news, bad news, any news from your weekend?
- PK: What do you know, if anything, about India?
- PK: What do you know, if anything, about Buddhism?
2. Introduction to India:
3. Exit Card: From what you learned today about India from the advertisement, what do you want to learn about the country that would be most interesting? This will help me get a better idea of what you want to concentrate on this unit.
Take it back Tuesday~ 01/15/2013~ How bad do you want it?!
1. Threshold: 01/15/13 ~ DO YOUR BEST and FORGET the REST!!!*
- Remember, tonight is a Blog Post!! It’s due tomorrow night by 9:00pm at the latest.
- Today is Take it back Tuesday. Write down a recent mistake that you have made, forgive yourself for it, and move on from it. We all make them, but we must learn from them and not repeat them.
- From the clip about India yesterday, what did you learn about India’s geography? What were some types of landforms, climates, weather that you noticed?
- What do you know, if anything, about outsourcing? (Hint: It has something to do with jobs)
- If you were to take a trip through the entire country of India what clothing items and supplies would you need to bring with you in order to survive comfortably?
2. The largest gathering of people on Earth at the Kumbh Mela festival
The Story of India part 1: Harappa
*HW*~ Blog Post; due tomorrow 01/16 by 9:00pm at the latest!
- What are the 5 types of climates that you would find in India?
- Name at least 10 items you would take with you to survive in all of the climate types of India (only necessities)
Worry-free Wednesday~ 01/16/2013
1. Threshold: 01/16/13 ~ DO YOUR BEST and FORGET the REST!!!*
- Today is Worry-free Wednesday: Write a small worry down on the threshold and leave it there. It may seem like a GIANT deal right now at 12, 13, 14, 15 years old, but over the course of lifetime it is a small pebble in the road that you need to step over to get where you need to go.
- R: What are the 5 types of climates that you would find in India?
- R: Name at least 10 items you would take with you to survive in all of the climate types of India (only necessities)
- R: What advantage do girls in America have over most girls in the rest of the World?
- E: We know Nick Vujicic already. After seeing this clip, what can his life and attitude teach you about how you should use and view your own life?
Thankful Thursday ~ 01/17/13
1. Threshold: Thursday, 01/17/2013 ~ DO YOUR BEST and FORGET THE REST!!!
- How “difficult” your life is, is a matter of perspective/POV. While your life, neighborhood may seem like a war zone to you, or Disney World, there are many places and many people who have way less than us and who strive and thrive for something better. What is my point?
- R: When do many kids in India go to school, if they can at all? What keeps many of them out of school?
- R: What did you notice about the school that Neeraj attended?
- R: Going to school in America is compulsory. What does compulsory mean in that sentence?
- E: Interpret the song: “My Own Little World”, by Matthew West
The Story of India part 2:
*HW*~ Blog Post, online (worth 10 points) or on paper (5 points) and due Friday 02/10/12 by 9:00pm at the latest!
- Why does Neeraj eventually drop out of school at the age of 15?
- Why are her parents unsupportive of her education? Be specific!
- What does Ken, from Japan have that Neeraj did not have India? Be specific!
Forgiveness Friday ~ 01/18/13
1. Threshold: Friday, 01/18/2013~ DO YOUR BEST and FORGET THE REST!!!
- This is the last day of the 2-week threshold warm-up! You need to fill in every day, whether you were here or not. You are still responsible for your learning. When we are finished with today’s threshold put it in the center of the table with your name on it and have 1 person turn them in for the group. Remember… Thresholds are in the classwork category (30% of your whole grade!)
- RBP: Why does Neeraj eventually drop out of school at the age of 15?
- RBP: Why are her parents unsupportive of her education? Be specific!
- RBP: What does Ken, from Japan have that Neeraj did not have India? Be specific!
3. Magnet Project Foldable Pamphlet: Michigan’s Alternative Energy Future
“India’s Love Affair with Gold” = The Law of Supply and Demand